Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Readers Pay, but Kindle Doesn't Pay Authors

One good reason many international readers should buy my books through Smashwords—save lots of money.

Amazon Hold Back The Growth Of E-Books Around The World

Writers often wonder why the growth of e-books is so much slower in the rest of the world.

There are a number of reasons for that, but one big factor is the $2 surcharge that Amazon levies on all e-books in most international countries.

This charge is levied by Amazon, and kept by Amazon, and has nothing to do with taxes.

This charge is applied whether the user downloads e-books through their Kindle or not, and whether the user even owns a Kindle or not.

Read more at davidgaughran.wordpress.com
 

1 comment:

Jaap B said...

I bought a Kindle recently, and discovered this shortly after receiving it (and having bought one book with the surcharge applied).
I have since updated the Country Settings on the Manage Your Kindle page. Since they now show I live in the US, the surcharge is no longer applied.
My paper books are still shipped to my 'old' address in the Netherlands :)